UNIVERSAL DONOR
REVIEWS THE WORLD
- opinions formed while-u-wait! -

.
.websites
Hard Taco Project

This is the website of a guy named Zach London who writes a song every month and posts it to his site. I was referred to this site by a former roommate who knew this guy from his school (maybe?). I can't remember now whether the referral was positive (as in "check this out, I really dig it, man!") negative (as in "listen to how much my friend suxx!") or guardedly neutral (as in "I may have an opinion about this but I'm not saying what it is till you say what you think"). Neutral seems the most likely, as it encompasses the other two choices, too, huh? Fuck it.
     I admire and envy his dedication to his goal, and I think he's an M.D. too, which actually just pisses me off. A song a month didn't sound like much to me at first, because when I was making a lot of music I'd easily make 3 songs a week. But since I haven't recorded a song in, what, almost two years now, it drops my average a bit. If I count 1999, I may have made a song a month. Ugh. Maybe if I stop counting two years ago.
     Having never been a big fan of They Might Be Giants, I can't really tell the essential difference between this dude and those prolific fuckwads. His voice is nasal, he's overly clever (which you can tell from any list of his song titles), and he mimics various musical styles with ease. I don't know. Maybe that's more like Ween, but I've got a soft spot for Ween. This guy is like Ween, except not as good, and just one guy.
     I had so many things I was going to say, but I was gonna link to a couple of songs. Here:
• Kinks/Belle & Sebastian: Truer Than a Teardrop
• Take a guess: Surfin' Savant
• Folky confessional: The Only Serious Thing
• Beck? King Trucker
• TMBG, right? Egg Came First
     Some people might think this stuff is genius. I don't particularly agree, but I don't have the heart to give this the rating I would give it if it were an actual album. For a doctor's hobby, it's really not too shabby, I guess.
     I think what gets me about this site, what made me want to review it is this: I egomaniacally, but completely, believe that if I made a song a month, the results would be better, but I DON'T DO IT. Why not? What else am I doing? Pbbththbh. This site makes me hate myself a little.
.: . . . . :6.0. . . :
4/26/2006 • link

2 comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, make more music you beetlefucker

4/27/2006 5:59 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because of your review I checked out HARD TACO's myspace.
I feel like you judged harshly.

Sure I only heard 4 songs, but 2 of them were great. (Rafters Roar and Wrong pipe)the others were pretty good.

Sure, maybe these are the 4 greatest hits, but still....

4/04/2008 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment






GO BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE


PREVIOUS POSTS
Pedialyte
Nostril Zits
Villa Incognito
Tom Robbins
misuse of the word "schwag"
Lucky Number Slevin
Entenmann's Glazed Popems
bancomicsans.com
Metrosexuality
St. Ives Apricot Facial Scrub
REVIEW
CATEGORIES
books
movies
music
television
games
people
websites
products
concepts
miscellaneous
GENERIC RATING SCALE
rating approximate meaning
10.0Godlike perfection
9.5Mortal perfection
9.0Great! Classic!
8.0Pretty awesome
7.0Good stuff
6.0Don't knock it 'til you try it
5.0Exactly half good and half bad
4.0If it's on sale...
3.0Last resort
2.0You might prefer root canal
1.0Contact could lower your I.Q.
0.0May cause cancer


SUGGESTIONS
Want me to review something? Use this box to make topic suggestions:
Review topic:

Recent Suggestions:
[shaving, nicotine patches, girlsarepretty.com]


LINKS
Universal Donor
UD's Book Reviews
UD's Reference Page
TopTen Reviews.com

Powered by Blogger